Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, similar to a very firm veggie burger. It is low in sodium yet packed with protein, iron and calcium. Tempeh is a cholesterol-free, vegan-friendly food.
Try something new this week or hop on the Meatless Monday train by incorporating one of these vegetable proteins in a meal and/or snack, if you haven’t already.
Add a hint of sweetness and Vitamin C to your salads with sliced oranges and a homemade vinaigrette with 100% orange juice.
Yield: 2 serving
- 6 ounces Tempeh,
- Soy uncooked (3/4 of a typical 8 ounce package)
- Tempeh Marinade
- 4 Tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon Teriyaki Stir Fry Sauce
- 5 cups Mixed Salad Greens (arugula, butterhead, endive radicchio, baby spinach)
- ½ cup Edamame (shelled)
- ½ cup Sugar Snap Peas, chopped
- ½ Orange navel, slivered
- 2 Tablespoons of slivered almonds
- ¼ Tablespoons of orange juice
- ¼ Tablespoons of White Balsamic Vinegar
Cut uncooked tempeh into 8-10 slices or cubes and place in a small bowl. Add marinade to the tempeh and mix well. Let tempeh sit in marinade for 15 minutes. Cook tempeh on medium in a skillet for about 5 minutes on both sides or until tempeh is golden brown. While tempeh is cooking, prepare the salad ingredients in a large bowl and orange vinaigrette in a small bowl. Add the cooked tempeh and vinaigrette the salad and mix well.